WAAAAAAGH
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:13 pm
Warhammer Online's NDA has been lifted!
Anyone have any questions?
I'll copy/paste my comments from VN rq for an idea about the game:
General thoughts on Warhammer:
It's a great game. There's a few minor annoyances that they need to fix but considering the number of positive changes they've made in the short time I've been in beta I'm sure they'll fix them. The PvE is made much better than DAOC's and WoW's by the public quest system, which allows you to hop into an repeating large-scale quest that gives outstanding item and xp rewards. It is also very easy to find a group for either pve or rvr by using the Open Group system. Basically, you can set it up to where anybody can join your groups or warbands (4 group raids) without having to actually invite them or without them having to spam looking for group for hours. This is great for when friends or guildies aren't online and you want to just hop into a group and play. I'm not sure how end-game PvE will be but what I've read sounds cool. You can also level completely off RvR if you really wanted to.
The PvP moves at a decent pace and is not the one-shot-fest of Warcraft. The classes and factions are mostly balanced with a few small exceptions, but most balance issues can be overcome with well timed morale abilities (which are powerful abilities that you can use after being in combat for a certain amount of time). It's good to have a game that lends itself to open field RvR again, as the RvR lake areas are a LOT of fun. The scenarios are pretty cool too but I prefer the open field stuff. I haven't played end-game so I'm not sure how things will be then, but I am a little worried that gear is going to play a major role, because it does make some difference in the early tiers. My one worry is that destruction will be a little too zergy, but both sides are a lot of fun and the "good guys" usually end up getting more people when the general population gets into most of these games.
Class thoughts:
First off, I think it is awesome that they found a way to make tank classes useful in RvR with their taunts, guards, and collision detection. They are outstanding at protecting healers and absorbing damage, and can still do decent damage if they switch to a 2h weapon.
The healers are a ton of fun too. Four out of the six heal classes (disciple, warrior priest, archmage, shaman) actually become more effective by weaving in dps spells or attacks with their heals, and the other 2 are there to fill the traditional heal role but are still extremely self sufficient in solo pve or rvr. I will likely be playing a healer at launch.
DPS is fun too. I love the sorceress, and white lions/magus/witch elf/bright wizard/shadow warrior/marauder are cool too. I haven't really tested out the others but I assume they are equally cool.
Anyone have any questions?
I'll copy/paste my comments from VN rq for an idea about the game:
General thoughts on Warhammer:
It's a great game. There's a few minor annoyances that they need to fix but considering the number of positive changes they've made in the short time I've been in beta I'm sure they'll fix them. The PvE is made much better than DAOC's and WoW's by the public quest system, which allows you to hop into an repeating large-scale quest that gives outstanding item and xp rewards. It is also very easy to find a group for either pve or rvr by using the Open Group system. Basically, you can set it up to where anybody can join your groups or warbands (4 group raids) without having to actually invite them or without them having to spam looking for group for hours. This is great for when friends or guildies aren't online and you want to just hop into a group and play. I'm not sure how end-game PvE will be but what I've read sounds cool. You can also level completely off RvR if you really wanted to.
The PvP moves at a decent pace and is not the one-shot-fest of Warcraft. The classes and factions are mostly balanced with a few small exceptions, but most balance issues can be overcome with well timed morale abilities (which are powerful abilities that you can use after being in combat for a certain amount of time). It's good to have a game that lends itself to open field RvR again, as the RvR lake areas are a LOT of fun. The scenarios are pretty cool too but I prefer the open field stuff. I haven't played end-game so I'm not sure how things will be then, but I am a little worried that gear is going to play a major role, because it does make some difference in the early tiers. My one worry is that destruction will be a little too zergy, but both sides are a lot of fun and the "good guys" usually end up getting more people when the general population gets into most of these games.
Class thoughts:
First off, I think it is awesome that they found a way to make tank classes useful in RvR with their taunts, guards, and collision detection. They are outstanding at protecting healers and absorbing damage, and can still do decent damage if they switch to a 2h weapon.
The healers are a ton of fun too. Four out of the six heal classes (disciple, warrior priest, archmage, shaman) actually become more effective by weaving in dps spells or attacks with their heals, and the other 2 are there to fill the traditional heal role but are still extremely self sufficient in solo pve or rvr. I will likely be playing a healer at launch.
DPS is fun too. I love the sorceress, and white lions/magus/witch elf/bright wizard/shadow warrior/marauder are cool too. I haven't really tested out the others but I assume they are equally cool.